header complet 1200

PRIMARIA PECICA  * Str. 2; Nr. 150, oraş Pecica, judeţul Arad, Cod poştal: 317235 * Telefon: +40(0)257.468.323, +40(0)755.086.778 * Fax: +40(0)257/468633 * E-mail: [email protected]

A BRIEF HISTORY

 

Attestation of establishment of the settlement

 

Pecica was one of the earliest rural settlements in the Arad County, inhabited as early as the Bronze Age. The diggings carried out at Shantzu Mare (The Big Ditch), within the town’s land area, attest a fortification of that Age, belonging to the Periam-Pecica Culture. That culture turned into an iron culture in the Halstadtian period.

 

Documentary evidence first appeared in the 13 th century when, in the Papal Decimal Conscripts of 1333-1337, 30 small settlements (Ahtumononustura, Poppin, Hodos-Bodrog, Sionda, Basaraga, Latrian, Pecica itself, etc.) were mentioned.

 

The present shape of Pecica began to be drawn after the Ottoman Conquest ended, in the 18th century and, from an administrative point of view, it displayed, until 1960, two distinct parts: the eastern part was  Romanian Pecica, while the western part was Hungarian Pecica, or Rovine.

 

Three km away, there is the Serbian Orthodox Church of Bezdin, built in the 14 th  century;11 km away, there stands the Romanian Orthodox Church of Hodos- Bodrog, whose documentary attestation dates back to 1213; 10 km away, there lie the ruins of the Ahtum Monastery, mentioned in documents in 1204.

 

Turnu, a village which is part of Pecica, is located in the proximity of the border with Hungary. The Turnu border- crossing point, meeting all international requirements in the domain, has been in operation since 1997.

 

The village of Sederhat was attested in documents in 1913.

 

The village of Bodrogu Vechi ( Old Bodrog), part of Pecica, too, is a small place, situated on the right bank of the Muresh River, in the easily flooded area.